"Abusing power is not what the American people sent us to Washington to do. We need to address real priorities instead – fight for relief at the gas pump, stronger schools and lower health care costs for America's families," said Senator Reid.
- Veterans' Benefits (S. 845). "The Retired Pay Restoration Act of 2005" will assist disabled veterans who, under current law, must choose to either receive their retirement pay or disability compensation.
- Fiscal Responsibility (S. 851). Democrats will move to restore fiscal discipline to government spending and extend the pay-as-you-go requirement.
- Relief at the Pump (S. 847). Democrats plan to halt the diversion of oil from the markets to the strategic petroleum reserve. By releasing oil from the reserve through a swap program, the plan will bring down prices at the pump.
- Education (S. 848). Democrats have a bill that will: strengthen head start and child care programs, improve elementary and secondary education, provide a roadmap for first generation and low-income college students, provide college tuition relief for students and their families, address the need for math, science and special education teachers, and make college affordable for all students.
- Jobs (S. 846). Democrats will work in support of legislation that guarantees overtime pay for workers and sets a fair minimum wage.
- Energy Markets (S. 870). Democrats work to prevent Enron-style market manipulation of electricity.
- Corporate Taxation (S. 872). Democrats make sure companies pay their fair share of taxes to the U.S. government instead of keeping profits overseas.
- Standing with our troops (S. 11). Democrats believe that putting America's security first means standing up for our troops and their families.
- Women's Health Care (S. 844). "The Prevention First Act of 2005" will reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions by increasing funding for family planning and ending health insurance discrimination against women.
Monday, April 25, 2005
Reid to Frist: I see your nuke and raise you one manifesto
From Senator Reid a challenge to Frist, and oh, it is beautiful. Go nuclear? Okay, we'll make you vote against the troops... and lower gas prices... and veterans... and, well, read the list. Using an obscure "Rule XIV," Dems lined up nine bills last week to "help America fulfill its promise." If Frist wins on the nuclear option, Reid will use the rule to bring every one of these bills to the floor and force a vote:
Posted by Alna Dem at 10:24 PM