Saturday, January 28, 2006

Think we're impolite? STFU.*

I've said this before, but in light of my last two posts I think it bears repeating. Right-wing media figures routinely advocate violence against liberals.

Coulter:

"We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' creme brulee." January 26, 2006

"In this recurring nightmare of a presidency, we have a national debate about whether he 'did it,' even though all sentient people know he did. Otherwise there would be debates only about whether to impeach or assassinate." - High Crimes and Misdemeanors, 1998


"We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed too. Otherwise they will turn out to be outright traitors." - February 14, 2002


"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building." - August 26, 2002


"The only compelling argument yet in favor of friendly fire." - August 14, 2003, speaking of Al Gore and Gray Davis' status as Vietnam veterans
O’Reilly:
“I mean, but this is what they're saying. It is just - you just sit there, you go, ‘They'll never get it until they grab Michael Kinsley out of his little house and they cut his head off.’ And maybe when the blade sinks in, he'll go, ‘Perhaps O'Reilly was right.’ May 17, 2005
Clear Channel radio host Glenn Beck:

“Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, ‘Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore,’ and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, ‘Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death.’ And you know, well, I'm not sure.”
I simply do not want to hear any hand-wringing from the media or anyone else about incivility on the left until this problem is addressed head on.

*STFU = Shut the fuck up.

No comments: