Thursday, April 06, 2006

The emperor has no clothes

Harry Taylor, American hero:
“‘I feel like despite your rhetoric, that compassion and common sense have been left far behind during your administration,’ Taylor said, standing in a balcony seat and looking down at Bush on stage. ‘And I would hope from time to time that you have the humility and grace to be ashamed of yourself.’”

UPDATE: Compare the photo at left with this famous Rockwell print illustrating freedom of speech. And you can thank Mr. Taylor personally here.
UPDATE II: Scrolling through the thank yous, I came across this beautiful statement:
Mr. Taylor, thank you for speaking truth to power with grace and dignity. The shame you describe is so painful to people like you and me who love this country.
Some years ago I read a quote to the effect that Republicans love America like a child loves a parent -- they think everything it does must by definition be perfect -- whereas Democrats love America the way adults love one another -- in a serious, reflective way, such that we are not blind to flaws and want to help our loved one do better when they make mistakes. You have expressed this grown-up love of country in a way that brings me near tears, because I share your shame and fear with respect to our country and leadership at this time, and it is a terribly painful thing.
I hope your public statement can be a small step toward some healing for our beloved country. Thank you.

No comments: